Translate

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Ponzi Scams and Bitcoin

I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about Bitcoin. I know it's a virtual currency that's used exclusively on the internet and whose value seems to be going up...and up...and up. But that's it.
Having said that, I have always been a bit uneasy about it. It has no regulator for a start.
And it's value seems to be determined by calculations and market forces that make little sense.
For me, that doesn't sound right and seems fraught with risk.
Ponzi scams are adapting to new and creative ways of parting people with money. The current trend in Ponzis is obviously the 'click ten ads a day and get rich' ones, of which I inadvertently became fluent in. But these will all dissappear eventually (people will only get burned so many times) and something else will take there place.
I've started to receive complaints about Binary Option companies that have swallowed up money in
'market losses' and many are losing substantial amounts. I'm sorry for not investigating them as asked but I don't feel qualifiied to give advice on a subject I know next to nothing about.
Having said that, I have a golden rule that I follow religously:
IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
Which brings me back to Bitcoin.
The Securities and Exchange Commission have issued this warning about Ponzi's and virtual currency which is a must read:

http://www.sec.gov/investor/alerts/ia_virtualcurrencies.pdf

I also found these great posts by Kevin Thompson, the MLM lawyer that 'My Advertising Pays' falsely claimed to represent them and endorse their business model.
He pretty much says the same as me about Bitcoin but far more eloquently!

http://thompsonburton.com/mlmattorney/2015/08/17/bitcoin-cryptocurrencies-and-mlm-part-1/

http://thompsonburton.com/mlmattorney/2015/08/19/bitcoin-cryptocurrencies-and-mlm-part-2/

My personal opinion is that virtual currencies and the sudden increase in Binary Option companies are a trend to be wary of. Remember:

IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post links or email addresses on your comment.
Thank-you.